Jeffrey D. Barnes focuses his practice on commercial real estate and bank lending work. He regularly counsels and represents both large and small financial institutions in commercial real estate and asset-backed loans including construction loans, revolving credit facilities, term financing, and mezzanine lending. Jeff’s ongoing owner/developer practice includes representation of a wide variety of real estate investors, developers, privately held businesses and family offices with their acquisition, disposition, financing, leasing and development of commercial real property. He also works closely with the Firm’s Tax, Estate Planning and Corporate practice areas in the structuring and implementation of tax-deferred exchanges and other asset and wealth preservation planning, business matters, and real estate ownership matters, including leasing, negotiation with lenders, title, survey, environmental, zoning and related matters.
Jeff received his Bachelor of Science in Economics and Social Science from Florida State University cum laude and his Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law, where he was an Articles Editor of the North Carolina Law Review. Prior to entering law school, Mr. Barnes worked as a loan officer with First Union National Bank of Florida. After law school, he also served as the Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable George R. Hodges, Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court of the United States Bankruptcy Court of the Western District of North Carolina. Jeff is active in various roles as an officer, a board member or member in local school and church activities.
- Ongoing representation of multiple local and regional lenders in financing of borrower’s acquisition, development, lease, and sale of property across Southeast.
- Ongoing representation of multiple local, regional and national developers in securing acquisition, development and construction loans for all types of real property assets, including office, retail, apartment, industrial and other assets.
- Represented national bank in various “roll-up” acquisition loans, including a mezzanine second-tier lender and third-tier seller financing, totaling in excess of $35 million.
- Represented multiple owners/developers of large apartment complexes in negotiating and closing numerous capital market securitized loans in excess of $50 million.
- Represented regional owner/developer in the acquisition, development and financing of multiple sites across Southeast for a publicly traded national equipment leasing company, for a total investment of over $80 million.
- Represented local developer in acquisition, development and subsequent sales of multiple luxury town home developments.
- Represented various local owner/developers in negotiating and closing numerous capital market securitized loans in excess of $100 million for the development and construction of commercial retail shopping centers and single tenant outparcel sites.