- Honors &
- Professional Activities
- Civic &
Benjamin Dean’s primary practice areas include business law, commercial real estate, corporate governance, and estate planning. Ben advises business owners and individuals on a variety of issues specific to C-Corporations, S-Corporations, limited liability companies, tax-exempt organizations and partnerships. Ben has experience in a wide range of corporate and transactional matters, including entity formation and reorganization, drafting and negotiating shareholder agreements, operating agreements, commercial contracts, employment agreements, and counseling on general corporate matters. Ben has helped private real estate investors with creative and practical tax planning and asset preservation strategies.
Ben’s practice also includes assisting clients with estate and business succession planning to preserve assets and minimize the effects of estate, gift, and income taxes. Ben has worked with his clients to solve complex wealth transfer issues when conveying assets to future generations and to charity.
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, Business 2019, 2020
- Dean’s Merit Scholarship (New York University School of Law)
- Special Works Editor, Alabama Law Review (University of Alabama School of Law)
- Order of the Coif (University of Alabama School of Law)
- Selected for inclusion in North Carolina Rising Stars® 2020, 2021, 2022 by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Advised clients in the creation of new estate planning documents and irrevocable trusts to help minimize income, estate, and gift taxes upon transfer of wealth to future generations.
- Helped clients address complex business succession issues upon transfer of closely held businesses to future generations.
- Assisted families in addressing multifaceted wealth transfer issues upon sale of large closely held businesses.
- Represented private real estate investors in complex 1031 exchange transactions to allow deferral of income taxes from sale of real property.
- Advised private real estate investors to help minimize income taxes upon development and sale of investment property.
- Assisted clients in addressing tax controversy issues with the Internal Revenue Service, including settlement negotiations with the IRS Office of Appeals.
- Assisted clients in the trust and estate administration process.
- Advised clients in the creation of complex charitable organization structures to allow for long-term family charitable involvement and gifting programs.
- Co-Author (with Benjamin H. Ellis), “Tax Court Approves Reverse Like-Kind Exchange Outside of Safe Harbor,” Journal of Real Estate Taxation, Fourth Quarter 2016
- MissionFilmWorks, Board of Directors