- Honors &
- Professional Activities
- Civic &
Christopher E. Hannum practices in the areas of corporate law, trusts and estates, and tax and business law. He frequently advises on complex tax and business matters, including corporate and real estate transactions and financing, estate and income tax planning, asset protection, securities matters, tax controversies, and mergers and acquisitions.
Chris has a proven track record of handling sophisticated transactions and developing effective solutions to minimize taxes and legal risks, preserve wealth and achieve other client objectives.
Chris has led or participated in many of the corporate transactions the Firm has recently handled as part of the CEC Business Planning and Transactions Practice.
- Selected for inclusion in North Carolina Super Lawyers® List (2012-2021)
- Selected for inclusion The Best Lawyers in America® –Tax Law (2016-2021)
- Recognized as a Legal Elite, a list of the top 3% of lawyers in North Carolina compiled by Business North Carolina magazine, 2016
- Represented recreational vehicle dealership in sale to national firm.
- Represented health care client in corporate compliance and finance matters.
- Represented renewable energy company in business and tax restructuring.
- Represented large estate in estate administration, corporate matters and tax planning.
- Represented national cosmetic enhancement company in tax and business planning, structuring, and complex business law matters.
- Speaker (with William L. Mills, IV), When a Seller Checks Out Early: Ins and Outs of Section 6166 and Other Post-Mortem Planning, The Right Way to Exit: Key Tax and Estate Planning Issues in Selling a Business, North Carolina Bar Association, November 17, 2016.
- “Buy-Sell Agreements: Estate Planning and Ethical Considerations,” May 4, 2016
- “Estate Planning and Buy-Sell Agreements,” Current Developments in Estate Planning and Asset Protection , North Carolina Bar Tax Section, October 29, 2015 (Co-Program Planner)
- “Fundamentals of Estate and Asset Protection Planning,” March 31, 2015
- “Long-Term Considerations: Some Key Legal Issues for Middle-Market Companies,” Charlotte Business Journal, March 20, 2015
- “Trust Us: Your Tax Bill is Going Up, Applying the Net Investment Income Tax to Trusts and Estates,” Tax Assessments, Vol. 33, No. 2, March 2014
- “How to Make Non-Competes Not Worth the Paper They Are Written On,” Southern Building Material Association, September 2015
- “Protecting Real Estate Developers: Expect the Unexpected in Drafting LLC Operating Agreements,” Notes Bearing Interest, Vol. 31, No. 4, June 2010
- “Banking on Appreciation: The Application of Securities Laws to ‘Landbanking’ Transactions,” Probate & Property, May/June 2009
- “LLC Managers Beware: N.C. Responsible Person Liability,” Tax Assessments, October 2013
- The New Era of Estate Planning
- Planning and Pitfalls Under the New Tax Act
- You Only Need to Get Rich Once
- North Carolina Bar Association
- ABA Business Law Section and Tax Section
- Chairman of the NCBA Tax Section Council Estate Planning Committee
- Room in the Inn; Myers Park United Methodist Church
- Reading Buddies; Sedgefield Elementary School
- Charlotte Men’s Homeless Shelter