John J. Carpenter co-chairs the Firm's Commercial and Real Estate Transaction Service Group. Jody's primary practice areas include real estate and commercial transactions, tax, estate planning, probate and fiduciary law, IRS tax controversy, asset protection planning, business law, and mergers and acquisitions. He has been practicing law in Charlotte for more than 30 years. Jody has extensive experience with commercial real estate and loan transactions, partnership tax planning, Section 1031 like-kind exchanges, reverse exchange techniques, and other sophisticated real estate tax-deferral strategies, as well as handling IRS audits and controversies for clients. Jody has been successful in applying a multi-disciplinary approach in advising his clients how to structure their transactions to minimize the tax effect.
- Selected for inclusion in North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2006-2019) by Super Lawyers® magazine
- Recognized by Martindale Hubbell as one of the 2016 Preeminent Tax Lawyers in America
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, Litigation – Trusts and Estates, Litigation and Controversy – Tax, Real Estate Law (2008-2019)
- Named Best Lawyers 2019 Charlotte Litigation-Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” in Charlotte
- Named Best Lawyers 2016 Charlotte Litigation and Controversy-Tax “Lawyer of the Year” in Charlotte
- Named Best Lawyers 2015 Charlotte Litigation-Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” in Charlotte
- Named Best Lawyers 2014 Charlotte Litigation and Controversy-Tax “Lawyer of the Year” in Charlotte
- Recognized as a Legal Elite, a list of the top 2.9% of lawyers in North Carolina compiled by Business North Carolina magazine,(2008, 2010, 2012-2019)
- Selected as Five Star Wealth Manager (2009-2012)
- Represented publicly traded, national developer/owner/operator of assisted living facilities, in the acquisition and development of over 15 sites in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
- Represented regional owner/developer in the acquisition, development and subsequent sales of multiple luxury town home developments, including obtaining construction financing, preparing development plats, drafting declarations and restrictive covenants, forming homeowner’s associations and closing sales transactions.
- Represented numerous owners/sellers in the structuring and implementation of multi-million dollar, multi-faceted tax-deferred exchanges and involuntary conversions.
- Represented and advised owner of Charlotte based wholesale supply company in pre-transaction tax planning and sale/merger of operating business valued in excess of $45 million.
- Represented and advised family owned recreational vehicle dealership in sale to national firm in pre-transaction tax planning and sale valued in excess of $80 million.
- Represented and advised family owned Charlotte based service company in the sale to an international company in transaction valued at over $425 million, including planning and implementation of large pre-sale charitable gift to family foundation.
- Represented numerous business owners and wealthy individuals in various tax controversy matters, including IRS Appeals.
- Co-Author (with Christian L. Perrin), “A Useful Tool in a Time of Need: A Brief Synopsis and Analysis of IRC § 6161 (b)(2),” Probate & Property, March/April 2010.
- Co-Author (with William R. Culp, Jr.), “FLPs Are Still Viable To Save Transfer Taxes,” Business North Carolina, June 2006.
- Co-Author (with Niles A. Elber), “Reverse Like-Kind Exchanges,” NCBA Tax Assessments, Vol. 20, No. 1, December 2000.
- Co-Author (with Jonathan Gopman), “Planning Around Corporate Ownership of Life Insurance in a Closely Held Business,” NCBA The Will & The Way, Vol. 13, No. 2, February 1994.
- Co-Author (with William R. Culp, Jr.), “IRS Pronouncements Clarify Status as a Partnership vs. an Association,” Journal of Partnership Taxation, Summer 1989.
- “Recent Developments Regarding Limited Partnership Classification,” NCBA Notes Bearing Interest, April 1989.
- North Carolina Certified Public Accountant since 1984, Certificate #14796
- North Carolina Board Certified Specialist, Estate Planning and Probate Law since 1992