Our team of real estate lawyers assists our clients in the acquisition and sale of investment and development property throughout the United States. We handle transactions involving properties of all types and sizes—office, retail, industrial, multifamily, mixed-use, hotel, resort, planned community, and raw land assemblage for investment and development.
We regularly advise clients in the following areas:
- Preparation and negotiation of purchase agreements and acquisition, disposition and financing documents.
- Transaction due diligence, including review of title insurance policies, surveys, leases, restrictive covenants, entitlement reports, land use approvals and environmental site assessments.
- Closing all types of commercial real estate and financing transactions including permanent non-recourse loans and development financing.
- Real estate aspects of major corporate transactions.
We have recently represented:
- Representation of a publicly traded, national developer/owner/operator of assisted living facilities, in the acquisition and development of over 15 sites in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
- Representation of various local owner/developers in negotiating and closing numerous capital market securitized loans in excess of $100 million for the development and construction of commercial retail shopping centers and single tenant outparcel sites.
- Representation of a local owner/developer/borrower in negotiating and structuring the acquisition and financing of a residential development and golf course located in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
- Representation of a local owner/developer in negotiating and structuring the acquisition and financing of a 500-acre residential development and country club located in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Representation of regional owner/developer in the acquisition, development and financing of multiple sites in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Oregon for a publicly traded national equipment leasing company.
- Representation of local developer in acquisition, development and subsequent sales of multiple luxury town home developments, including obtaining construction financing, preparing development plats, drafting declarations and restrictive covenants, forming homeowners’ associations and providing ongoing advice to these associations.
- Representation of local private owners and property management company in the negotiation and sale of real estate, represented by three (3) separate apartment complexes located in multiple states and the reinvestment of proceeds in Class A commercial office buildings pursuant to 1031 exchanges and other real estate tax planning strategies.
- Representation of a Canadian textile company in the acquisition of multiple manufacturing facilities throughout North Carolina, including purchase of substantially all assets of the seller and securing financing for same.
- Representation of local family limited partnership in multi-phased sale and 1031 exchange of timber land, including partial donation, to allow to convert low basis property to diversified net leased and shopping center properties across the Southeast in a tax free manner, combined with a charitable deduction to use against other income.
- Representation of multiple private real estate investors in complex joint venture with a national homebuilder involving Section 1031 like-kind exchanges, tenant in common ownership structure and bank financing.
- Representation of national sponsor of syndicated real estate acquisitions including negotiation of securitized conduit loan financing terms and preparation of private placement offering memorandum, limited partnership agreements, limited liability company operating agreements, tenants-in-common agreements and related documentation.
- Representation of local developer in acquisition, financing and development of apartment, condominium and town home development projects along Charlotte’s new light rail line, including site acquisition, entitlement and North Carolina Brownfields Agreement issues.
- Representation of bankrupt debtors in loan workout and sale of multiple adjacent parcels for a sales price with enough proceeds to repay all secured and unsecured creditors, with substantial profit for owners in a manner to allow owner to defer taxes on gain from sale, including negotiating with lenders, tenants and buyers.